DESCRIPTION OF THE COURSE
The Department of Biology and Biotechnology offers the Master Programme in Molecular Biology and Genetics, an intensive 2-year, full-time, second level degree (Biology class) entirely taught in English and designed for graduates at the BA level who are seeking a qualification in advanced areas of Biology, with special attention to Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology and Microbiology. Graduates will acquire a strong theoretical and methodological background relevant to both basic and applied aspects of these disciplines.
The programme will provide a state-of-the-art knowledge and training in biomolecular sciences, including the most recent advances in genomics and proteomics of human and animal organisms, in the study of biomolecular structures and their connection to function, and in the genetic manipulation of bacteria, human and animal cells and seed plants. Compulsory courses are: Advanced Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Cellular Biochemistry, Developmental Biology, Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Human Molecular Genetics, Methods in Biochemistry, Microbial Genetics, Molecular Microbiology, Molecular Pharmacology, Structural Biology and Pharmacology. The following courses will also be offered as optional: Advanced Microscopy, Molecular Entomology, Molecular Genetics, Immunology.
The programme will also provide expertise in the technologies required for the utilization of microorganisms, animals and plants as factories for the production of biologically active molecules, including therapeutic compounds.
Students are expected to carry out a scientific investigation under the supervision of a faculty member (38 credits). The experimental work carried out during the two year-Degree must result into a Dissertation (Master of Sciences) that will represent an essential component of the Course programme. In this context, graduates will benefit from the informal atmosphere between staff and students that is traditional in our University. For the experimental component of the Curriculum each student will be associated to a research group and actively participate in one of the group’s research projects. The duration of the internship for thesis is two academic years (four semesters).
Students attending the Master Programme in Molecular Biology and Genetics come from European and extra-European countries. Every year, several foreign Visiting and Exchange students join the course thanks to the ERASMUS programme and other specific exchange programmes promoting internationalization and cultural exchange.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- Provide students with an excellent background in theoretical and practical aspects of biomolecular sciences as well as in laboratory techniques.
- Stimulate students to plan and implement research projects and to critically evaluate the results of their research and the scientific literature.
- Help students to develop a critical evaluation of theoretical and practical methodologies used to analyze and solve scientific questions and issues.
- Introduce students to the frontiers of research in Life Sciences also with the support of lectures and seminars given by invited international scientists of excellent level.
- Help students to develop writing and oral scientific communication skills in view of their future interaction with the international scientific community.
- Develop team work.
- Help students to gain and develop knowledge and skills required by research organizations and biotechnology companies.
- Explain the importance of bringing the benefits of advanced research in Life Sciences to the society.
The Master Programme in Molecular Biology and Genetics Master offers a successful introduction for different types of jobs throughout society. Graduates will find work opportunities in a wide range of fields and institutions, including a possible continuation of the study towards a qualified Ph. D. degree for a career in the academic or research organization world, or employment in the health sector, in biotech companies, in agrobusiness research, in the communication media, as well as for teaching in the private or public sectors.
Portals for degree-seeking students that mention the Master Programme in Molecular Biology and Genetics