Academic position: Full Professor
Department: Department of Biology and Biotechnology “Lazzaro Spallanzani”
03/2015-present Professor of Zoology, University of Pavia, Italy
- 2011-2015 Assistant Project Scientist, Public Health and Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California at Irvine
- 2007-2011 Post-doctoral fellow, University of California, Irvine. Appointment in Public Health (supervisor: Prof. Guiyun Yan) and Dep. of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry (supervisor: Prof. Anthony A. James)
- 2003-2006 Post-doctoral fellow, Department of Biology, University of Basilicata, Italy
1998-2003 Pre-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Animal Biology, University of Pavia, Italy
- 06/2002 and 07-09 2003 Pre-Doctoral Fellow, CNRS, Laboratoire Populations, Génétique et Evolution, Gif sur Yvette (supervisor: Prof. Pierre Capy)
- 11/2000 Pre-Doctoral Fellow, University College of London, Galton Laboratories, UK (supervisor: T. Chapman)
- 03-06/1998 and 01-06/2000 Research Associate, Dep. of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University (supervisor: L. Zheng)
- 2004 PhD in Cellular Biology, University of Pavia, Italy and in “Genes, Genomes, Cellules”, Universite’ de Paris XI, 2004. The combined Italian-French PhD was financed by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR)
- 2000 Master in Applied Genetics, University of Pavia, Italy,
- 1997 Master in Molecular Biology, University of Pavia, Italy
ORGANISER / ORGANISING COMMITTEE FOR INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES
- 2004-2007 Member of the Steering Committee of TEAM, Tephritid Workers of Europe Africa and the Middle East
- 2013 Organizer and boar member of the 1st International Workshop on Aedes albopictus, the Asian tiger mosquito (Pavia, Italy, March 21-22nd 2013)
- Reviewer for PNAS, Genetica, Diversity and Distributions, Journal of Insect Science, Journal of Applied Entomology, Journal of Medical Entomology, Molecular Ecology, Bulletin of Entomological Research, Infection Genetics and Evolution, Journal of Insect Physiology, BMC Genomics, PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, PLoS One and Heredity.
- Editor for BMC Genetics and PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases (invited)
- NIH-NIAID review member for R13 grants and for “International Collaborations in Infectious Diseases Research” U01 and U19 grants.
- 2013-2016 NIHD43 (PI: G. Yan). Vector-borne infectious disease Training program in China. M.B. Role: Mentor
- 2012-2014 NIH R21 AI098652-01 (PI: M. Bonizzoni). Transcriptomics and Population Genetics of Mosquito Resistance to Pyrethroids. M.B. Role: PI
- 2009-2014 PSWRCE-U54-A165359 (PI: A.A. James). Mosquito innate immune response to arbovirus infection. M.B. Role: post-graduate researcher
- 2003-2006 MIUR-FIRB (PI: Francesco Pennacchio – University of Basilicata, Italy). Functional Genomics of insects for the development of plant protection strategies. M.B. role: post-graduate researcher
- Teaching assistant
2003-2005 General Zoology, University of Pavia, Italy. Evolution and Biodiversity, University of Pavia, Italy
- 2002-2003 General Zoology and Population genetics methodologies, University of Pavia, Italy.
- 2014 Scheduled guest lectures in vector biology for the undergraduate course in Parasitology held by Naomi Morissette, UCI • 2015 Applied Zoology, University of Pavia
Post Graduate: Josh Hartsel (2012- 2013); PhD: Frederick N. Baliraine (2001-2003); MS: Francesca Scolari (2004-2005), Lara Ines Bellazzi (2004-2005), Stefania Moltoni (2002-2003); Undergraduate: several Bio199 students at UC Irvine (2010-2013).